Monday, April 6, 2009

Math and Technology

Mathematics with Technology is a professional development podcast that will inspire teachers to embrace a different mind set towards technology as a resource. Judy Chandler, a math mentor and trainer expresses how some teachers have the attitude that technology will not help or they don’t have the time to integrate it their curriculum. She stresses the importance of technology as a teaching tool. Technology integrated with mathematics will engage the students with a manipulative experience, have immediate feedback and give them a visual representation with a visual experience. In other words, technology will help the students connect with the future.

As a teacher, we must help our students to think mathematically. The way things are now students have sequential lessons and too many are disengaged and frustrated. Judy Chandler explained that the piece that is missing is “Thinking Mathematically”. Today we do this by asking questions, but with technology it will give students hands on experiences and an alternative demonstration for learning. Technology that is integrated properly will help student explore, prove models, apply and reflect, and challenge all students to think hard. Technology will give students critical thinking experiences to prepare them for the future.

If I was a math teacher, I would definitely use technology as a resource. As I stated earlier, children have different ways of learning. Some children are visual, kinetic, and auditory learners; integrating with technology will help them reach their fullest potentials. In an earlier post, I stated that if we are going to help prepare our children to compete globally there must be some changes in how we approach technology as a resource. A teacher can hinder a student’s progress or help. I would like to share something about myself. I was not aware of the different resources that you could use as tools with technology; if I am going to help prepare children for this promising future, I need to be exposed to the latest trend in education. I am glad that I have taken this course because I see how it could help shape children for academic progress. Even though math is not my specialty, I have access to help others enhance their classrooms are use it as I tutor children who are struggling.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberna,

    I see you found the podcast. Good for you!
    And you did a great job with your blog too. Very impressive-as always. =)
    See you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT as always. Technology changes so quickly, so staying on top of the current trends and issues is very important.

    ReplyDelete